With the warm season in full swing, many homeowners are gearing up for fun summertime activities. But amidst planning BBQs and vacations, it’s essential not to forget about your home’s plumbing. Particularly during summer, many households experience the frustrating issue of drain clogs.
With kids home from school, more house guests, and increased water usage, your home’s plumbing system will be under more strain. The good news? A little precaution goes a long way!
Let’s get into how you can prevent drain clogs this summer with guidance from our expert team at HendrixAir.
Understanding the Causes of Drain Clogs
Drain clogs are primarily a result of what goes down your pipes. From food particles in your kitchen sink to hair and soap residue in your bathroom, various elements contribute to blockages. With more activities and visitors in the summer, these risks increase.
Here’s a breakdown of the common culprits:
- Food waste: Larger pieces of food, oil, and grease can stick to your pipes, accumulating over time.
- Hair: A common issue in bathroom drains, hair can easily get tangled and trap other debris.
- Soap residue: Over time, soap can build up in your pipes, often attaching itself to other debris and causing clogs.
- Foreign objects: Children may accidentally drop toys or other items in the toilet or sink which can cause serious clogs.
Understanding these causes can help you prevent clogs from forming in the first place.
Preventing Clogs in the Kitchen
Your kitchen sink and garbage disposal see a lot of action, particularly during the summer when you might be entertaining more. Here are some tips to avoid clogs:
- Never pour oils or grease down the sink. They’ll solidify and block your pipes.
- Use a drain gate or strainer to catch food particles.
- Run cold water through your garbage disposal before and after using it. This helps flush out debris.
- Avoid putting fibrous or hard-to-grind food waste like corn husks, celery, and bones down the garbage disposal.
Preventing Bathroom Drain Clogs
A few simple habits can prevent most bathroom drain clogs:
- Use a hair catcher in the shower drain to prevent hair from going down the drain.
- Teach children not to flush toys or other objects down the toilet.
- Avoid using too much toilet paper, and only flush septic-safe paper products.
- Regularly clean your sink and tub stoppers to remove soap scum and hair.
Choosing the Right Drain Cleaner
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, you may need a drain cleaner. However, be cautious about the type of cleaner you use. Some chemical cleaners can harm your pipes, especially if they are old. Look for enzyme-based cleaners, which are safer for your pipes and for the environment.
Maintaining Your Plumbing System
Prevention is key when it comes to plumbing. Regular maintenance helps prevent minor issues from growing into major costs. Consider getting a professional drain cleaning at the start of each summer!
I was so happy to find a plumbing service which was able to help us. They have been fantastic from the beginning. –Kim H.
You can also regularly check your drains by observing the speed at which water goes down. If it’s slower than usual, you may have a clog forming.
Don’t Let Clogs Ruin Your Summer – Call HendrixAir!
Remember, a clog-free home isn’t just about convenience – it’s crucial for a comfortable, hygienic home environment. Don’t let plumbing issues put a damper on your summer fun!
At HendrixAir, we understand how to tackle summer plumbing challenges! Our team members are committed to serving our community with top-quality services. Whether you need assistance with drain cleaning, HVAC system maintenance, or other plumbing issues, we’re here to help.